The Friends of the Library for Huntington City-Township/Markle Public Libraries is a group of people who believe in the Library and the importance of its services. Friends demonstrate their belief by supporting Library activities, securing materials and services, and promoting the Library as an active, dynamic education and information center in the community.MISSION STATEMENT
Ongoing projects include providing library activity packets for hospitalized children, delivering books to nursing homes and the Huntington County Jail, funding and promoting library activities and other special programs for children and young adults, and funding annual Summer Reading Programs for all ages.
Annual fundraising projects include operating the magazine recycling/resale booth year round and offering used books, magazines and fresh coffee for sale in the Books & Brew area at the Main Library. Friends also sponsor several book sales: the annual Used Book Sale in the summer and the Holiday Book Boutique on the first Saturday in December.
Upcoming book sales
The Friends of the Library for Huntington City-Township Public Library benefits the Library on a continuing basis:
- Provides funding for special programs at both the Main library and the Markle Branch
- Assists with Children’s Room activities
- Helps fund & promote young adult activities
- Provides “perks” for Junior Volunteers
- Helps fund Summer Reading Programs for all ages
- Operates the Annual Used Book Sale in the summer & a Christmas Book Boutique the first Saturday in December
- Operates magazine recycling/resale booth
- Delivers books to nursing homes
- Provides activity packets for hospitalized children
- Helps address other specific needs not in the Library’s budget
- Purchases various items for the Library, including a popcorn machine for Library activities, new tables for the public meeting room, and an educational wall toy in the Children’s Room of the Markle Branch