What is Can-Unity?
Can-Unity is a food sculpture-building contest. Create a team – either of friends, family, coworkers, or any other combination – and see if you’ve got what it takes to make the best canned food sculpture! All non-perishable food and money donated during the Can-Unity event will benefit Love, Inc., United Way of Huntington County, and the Friends of the Huntington City-Township Public Library.
When is Can-Unity?
Can-Unity’s voting will take place from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday, July 22 at the Huntington Library (where the sculptures will reside). Patrons and visitors will be able to vote by either buying voting tickets (100% of the money goes towards the groups listed above) or by donating a canned food item. Additional judging will take place at 3 p.m., with all prizes and winners announced at 4:30 p.m.
By when must I register?
You can register by filling out the registration form below, which must be submitted to Beka Lemons, Library Director, no later than July 1. The form can be submitted in person or emailed to email@example.com.
- All sculptures must be architecture or building related. This can include buildings, landmarks, or other structures such as bridges or monuments.
- Participating teams or individuals are responsible for providing all of the necessary food and materials needed to create their sculpture. No materials or assistance will be provided by the Huntington City-Township Public Library or related entities.
- Sculptures may be made of cans or other non-perishable food items. Props and non-food items may be used but should be kept to a minimum.
- Participants may use all food donations as charitable tax deductions. The participant is responsible for all documentation. No tax receipts or valuations of materials will be given by the Huntington City-Township Public Library.
- Structures must fit in the designated space and should not be more than 8 feet tall.
- Participants are encouraged to provide the following information as a part of their display; title of structure, written description, dimensions, list of foods used and number of items used. you can complete the enclosed project information sheet and bring it with you on the day of the event or make your own.
- Structures must be made of unopened non-perishable food items. Cans and boxes cannot be damaged and all labels must remain intact.
- Structures must be self-supporting. Structural support must not be load bearing and will consist of wood or foam supports no more than 1/2″ thick.
- Food items may be joined by any of the following methods: clear tape, double sided tape, duct tape, Velcro, fishing line, wire rubber bands, zip ties, etc. Items must be easy to disassemble and boxes cannot be damaged. Permanent affixing of items is not allowed.
- No alcohol, glass containers, pet food, expired or open packages of food are allowed.
- Always observe safety precautions.
- Closed toed shoes are recommended
- Do not engage in actions that would endanger another person
- Lift correctly
- Use caution on ladders and step stools
- Participating businesses and organizations may advertise within their space in any way that they choose.
- All displays must be appropriate for a family environment.
- All participants must abide by the behavior policies established by the Huntington City-Township Public Library.
All food materials will be donated to the Love, Inc. food pantry. Love, Inc. encourages healthy food choices, so please try to keep the food choices for your structure as healthy as possible. Avoid things like sugary snacks, cookies, chips, and soda.
Below is a list of items most in demand at the food pantry. You don’t have to limit yourself to these items but they are a guideline.
- Canned fruit (peaches, pears, mixed fruit, applesauce)
- Canned vegetables (green beans, corn, peas, mixed vegetables)
- Cereal, oatmeal (packets and plain quick-cooking oats)
- Rice, rice sides and noodle sides, macaroni & cheese
- Soup (chicken noodle, vegetable, tomato, “cream of” soups)
- Peanut butter
- Tuna, salmon, beef or chicken
- Jelly, fruit snacks, granola bars